Retired in a distant and very happy world.
    Post Thanks / Like

Kosimas Adventures

From Buenos Aires to Ushuaia

I always had a world map in my wall. I always used to make fantasies about to travel around the world and, for some reason, I always wanted to go to Ushuaia. When I was little girl, I used to watch a TV program with my bro called Ushuaia. At this time I didnt know what the heck Ushuaia was, but I liked that name. It was a program about climbing and such things, something my brother actually loved. I remember the day I went with him to jump from 40 m a bridge with a rope on my waist. It was crazy, it was scary, it was amazing.

In any case, after I very hard break up in 2010 (my old friends in server know) and be watching my world map in the wall for long time, I decided I had to do something: make my dreams come true. At this time I was living in Buenos Aires, I moved there coz… of love! But love sometimes ends and then you hear the hardest words: “I dont love you anymore.” I was one year recovering from this, but never stopped dreaming, never stopped to watch my world map. My ex was a kind of negative person, he always told me: “Argentina is sh*t, f*ck or be f*cked.” I noticed I actually didn’t know too much, after 7 years in the country, about Argentina. “Ok, I need to know from myself,” I thought in that moment. I slowly made a plan, I was going to travel, have a nomad life for some time. My plan was to travel Argentina for 1 year, but plans use to get truncated…

When I first told to my closest friends, the sentence was unanimous: “WHAT?? YOU.ARE. TOTALLY. CRAZY!” But there were two people who had a very important role in my life. One of them told me: “This is the best idea I ever heard.” She helped me to organize my trip, she gave me invaluable tips and always cheered me up to don’t forget my dreams. The other person helped me with my first movement; he arranged a meeting with a truck driver who was going to take me from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia, more than 3,000 km by land.

Yes, from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia in a truck! Four days in a truck! After this long trip, four days, in summer, in a truck, with same clothes, sleeping in the truck, I thought: “Whoever called Ushuaia ‘The End of The World’, I’m sure he traveled by truck.” After two days, no shower and always with same clothes (even for sleeping) I took one of my best showers in my life a gas station. There, standing, tailing with a bunch of 2 m truck drivers, I felt small and short with my 1.65 m. Martin (the truck driver who brought me) told me: “Don’t say a word, you are my wife.” And that’s exactly what I did.

It’s hard to explain my sensation in this trip. People in Europe probable can’t imagine 4, 6, 8 hours in a road and to don’t see absolutely NOTHING. Just guanacos and nandues… and many many kilometers of… NOTHING!

And finally, after three days, we took the ferry in Strait of Magellan. I was excited: “We almost there!”. But not, still long way to go, mostly due to rolling stones roads.

Some hours later I arrived to Ushuaia, and I saw their touristic slogan: “End of the world, beginning of everything.” And of course I believed it, coz I wanted to believe it. And actually it was true for me, it was the beginning of everything…
    Last edited by Kosima; 07-13-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    ~ Satis Faction ~

2. Likes Kagaya, Waluste liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In The End of The World

And there I was, alone at the end of the world. Although at that time I was not yet aware of how far I was from my beloved people and the known places.

After four days of sleeping in a truck bed, I just wanted to sleep in a real bed. I was exhausted, I was hungry ... I wanted to go to the supermarket to buy something for dinner. "It is closed," they told me. WHAT?? "It is 11 p.m., it is already closed." I looked out ... it was daylight! This was the first shocking thing, it was 11 p.m. but outside there was still light. All right, I will go out to dinner.

The next day I got up early, as if there was another possibility ... It was getting dark at 11.30 p.m. and dawning at 4.30 am. I chose a quiet activity and I took the catamaran to navigate the Beagle Channel, passing by the Islas de los Pajaros y los Lobos and, of course, Les Eclaireurs Lighthouse (also called Faro del Fin del Mundo). After two hours of navigation, there they were! So cute, the penguins! I have to say that I insisted on going all the time on deck, so when we got to the penguins my hands were two ice cubes...

But the ride that I liked the most, any doubt was the trekking to the Emerald Lagoon. Unknown by tourists, but very well known by local people, it is a thawing lagoon that is reached by walking through forests of very old trees, passing a zone of peat that makes you believe that you are going to sink and, of course, filling you with mud up to your knees (if you are lucky not to fall down with some piece of ice and fill you with mud up to your neck.)

The only entry way necessarily passes through a private property dedicated to raising sled dogs. After signing in at the reception desk, the receptionist warned us: "Follow the blue signs in the trees. If you walk for a while and do not see more, go back. Do not get lost." Despite the poor signage and getting lost couple time and have to go back on our steps, it was really worthy.

[In sunny days, water got an incredible emerald color due to minerals from snow break]

After ten days in Ushuaia, taste their typical food, chat with the merchants, cross its streets, I decided that the time to leave had come. Next destination: El Calafate.

To be continued...
    ~ Satis Faction ~

4. Likes Savoir, Mod_Phriend, Waluste, Kagaya liked this post
    Whistleblower
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you will add more photo! <3

6. Likes Kosima liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure I will find some between the 20 Gb of photos I got. Taking 200 photos, I can rescue 2. Im that good!
    ~ Satis Faction ~

Whistleblower
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that place sure look worth a visit